Monday, February 21, 2011

J in the Desert

Well, looks like F3J is gaining popularity in the states. J in the Desert filled up in the first 5 hours after opening registration last year. The comp was this weekend, and came off REALLY well, was a ton of fun, rewarded short tows and smart flying, and early morning 15's took a toll on some top flyers with the "wrong" model.

On a personal note - I flew my ass off. I dropped all of 0.58 points out of 9000. (My throwout was a 997.xx) Hit 5 out of 10 100's in some turbulent and tough landing conditions. I made a few mistakes, but was able to fly my way out of them with some spectacular low level saves. On one occasion, after a one second tow in the wind, I went way downwind... but chickened out, and didn't get all the way to the thermal, so had to come back through the schmeg (technical term), only to work a thermal just on the other side of the treeline, BELOW the treeline. The thermal was completely chopped up by the treeline. Had to climb enough (in LOUSY air) to get over the trees to a very slightly stronger and less chopped up thermal, all at about 15 feet with 7 or so minutes to go.... I don't think I was over 100 ft at any point during the entire flight.... While everybody finds low level saves spectacular, I consider this flight a failure. I exercised bad judgement, and I'm never happy when I have to save my ass low level. But pulling it off was damn cool... ;-)

After the intensity of the J comp, the SWC was completely anti-climactic. It's nice to see the quick growth and enthusiasm for the much more fun J format. (Over US yawn style TD)

The planes showing the most promise - Icon 2, Aspire, Exploder 4000. I don't believe there is a perfect all around plane. You need a quick tow model for flyoffs, an all around model for longer but slightly quick tows, and a model for the very early morning flights (span span span/light light light)

GO J!!!!!!!!

D

No comments:

Post a Comment